St. Louis Regional Asthma Consortium is a collaboration of diverse agencies and individuals dedicated to reducing asthma morbidity and improving the quality of life for people with asthma in the St. Louis area. The Consortium will help accomplish this mission through the following core goals:
- Establish a regional epidemiological approach to identify gaps in education and services and support member's efforts to close them.
- Advocate community-wide changes to support improved and more responsive healthcare for people with asthma.
- Identify asthma resources available in the community including healthcare, educational, human and financial resources. Assure that high quality asthma information is available to people living with asthma.
- Improve access to asthma care by addressing barriers at the individual, system and community level.
- Identify and promote "best practices" approach to asthma management and system changes to implement them.
Did You Know...
- The number of children with asthma in the St. Louis metropolitan area is approximately three times the national average.
- Overall, one out of every eleven children under the age of 18 is currently living with asthma in the St. Louis region, but in some area schools as many as one out of every five children has asthma.
- In the St. Louis area, over 13% of adults over the age of 18 have been diagnosed with asthma.
- Asthma costs in Eastern Missouri total more than $75 million in lost school time, lost work time, and medicine and emergency room visits.
St. Louis Regional Asthma Consortium has been formed to gather the wealth of talent and resources in our community to improve the health and quality of life of people living with asthma. Our vision is appropriate asthma management and control for all people with asthma in the St. Louis region.